Distance from our location: 350 m
The spacious park received its name from the first GRUGA, an abbreviation that roughly translates to: large gardening exhibition in the ‘Ruhrland’, an area located near the river ‘Ruhr’. The gardening exhibition that was the predecessor of what is now known as the Grugapark was founded in 1929 as one of the first public parks that was remodeled and reopened as a recreational park.
Then and now, the park is not only the perfect destination to enjoy nature, but also a popular location for events and outdoor activities. The park also accommodates more than forty sculptures by famous artists, like Alfred Hrdlicka, Auguste Rodin, Fritz Klimsch and others.